Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Girls Gone Mild

So theres a revolution out there, one that espouses the modest in us, one that enhances our natural state of being.

Coming from a period of wild days, I feel like I've come full circle, like the modesty in my life is precious and I cant say it better than this:

"When I chose to embrace modesty I wasn't just choosing to change my wardrobe. There honestly wasn't a whole lot that needed changing. But finding the few things that did need changing helped me to identify the attitudes that REALLY needed changing, for it really was my attitudes and beliefs that needed to be brought under the cover of truth about modesty, not so much my clothing.

When I chose to be more modest, I was shocked by what I saw in myself. I stopped obsessing about what I saw in the physical mirror and finally began to grieve about what I saw in the spiritual mirror. I had exchanged the truth about real beauty, the beauty that comes from being honest, intellegent, compassionate, confident and whole for lies about the importance of waist size, bra size or any other size. While choosing modesty helps to protect us from revealing our most vulnerable parts to the outside world, it also allowed me to reveal some of the most vulnerable and desperate parts of myself to the person who most needed to see them: Me."

Link for the above quote

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing quote.
I too sometimes reflect back and am impressed that I've left bit of my crazy self behind (I'll admit, not all). There is something to be said for modesty, it takes a whole lot more self-assurance, more courage, and more serenity than being careless.

Lamya said...

Thats true TrevY. I think I sort of stumbled on the modesty bit in my search for serenity and self assurance...It seemed like a natural extension of keeping something to myself in this world where everything is so open and shared.. It scares me, too, because I feel like somehow I'm returning to everything I've run away from, and making sense of it all is well.. What I'm trying to do..