Sunday, August 22, 2010

Its my.. SISTER!!..

I have to tell u guys about this.. Amazing moment that filled my chest with warmth and awe..

Alright, this all begins with a craving for home-made pizza. I only realised this like an hour before futoor, and wore an abaya and shayla, with baggy tracksuit bottoms and sneakers underneath :) this has relevance to the story, trust me..

So off I go to the closest mall to get the bases, as anyone who had ever made pizza bases knows that an hour before futoor may NOT be the best time to start..lol.. So the closest mall is closed and i zoom off to another mall, and its 40 min before futoor..

Get there, grab a pack of halaal bases and rush to the queue.. And a kind Muslim gentleman sees my shayla and abaya and one item in my hand and rushed look, and he gives me a place right at the front of the queue..

*insert* in Cape Town, where I live, the law of the queue is utterly respected. Nobody jumps, bumps their way up, or does anything else but join the back of the queue.. And jumping or bumping is regarded as horribly rude, and people WILL protest..LOUDLY.. !

I pay, wish the kind man Ramadaan Kareem and turn around.. And all over the store (its a store kind of lke Tamimi, or Tesco), I see Muslim people giving other Muslim people a place at the front of the queue.. Someone did dare to protest.. And a lady turned around (clearly unrelated to the person she gave a place to) and hissed..'Its my SISTER'..

I was so proud to be Muslim at that moment..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taqo said...

SWEET! :)

Something similar happened to me at the mall today. Random girl (about my age) asked me how Ramadan was going with me. I so wasn't expecting that. And we small-talked about it for like half a minute, and then both went our own ways :-p

How did the pizza turn out? ;p

Lamya said...

@ Ness: Really? Man I miss home. Mostly the food. I have AlBaik and Vimto cravings.

@ Taqo: Pizza was delish! Pepperoni and olives and feta..hmmmm. Didnt take any pictures though.. sorry. Will remember next time.

I love moments like that though. Its lovely.. kinda makes ur day..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
His Sweetheart said...

aww that's sweet!

Happy to be landing here :)